Bill G. Bell, M.D., is a renowned eye surgeon and an internationally recognized authority in eye surgery and treatment of ocular surface disease. Dr. Bell has been successfully performing ocular microscope surgeries, cosmetic eyelid surgery, and treatment of ocular medical problems for over 20 years. He received his undergraduate degree, Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, with a double major in advanced physics and mathematics, from Vanderbilt University. He received his medical degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and his residency training in ophthalmology at the Naval Regional Medical Center San Diego. Dr. Bell has taught microsurgical techniques and treatment of ocular surface disorders as an associate professor of ophthalmology at the University of California San Diego. He has entered in private techniques and medical treatment of ocular allergy, dry eye, cataracts, laser vision correction and cosmetic eyelid surgery.
Dr. Bell has been practicing medical and surgical ophthalmology in North County San Diego for over 20 years. During that time, he has been a leader and innovator in the improvement and delivery of eye care to the community. Among his achievements are:
- the first surgical implantation of an intraocular lens with cataract surgery in North county
- the first corneal transplantation in North County
- the first implantation of a multifocal (advanced, premium) intraocular lens in North County
- the first LASER treatment for glaucoma in North County
- the first Chairman of the Division of Ophthalmology at Tri-City Medical Center
- constructing and operating the first non-hospital-based outpatient surgical facility exclusively for eye care in North County
Throughout his career, Dr. Bell has been integrally involved with the research and development of both new medical therapies and surgical equipment and techniques. He continues to lecture regularly to other doctors throughout the United States on how to best understand and use the newest medical therapies and surgical innovations. Dr. Bell’s emphasis is on knowing HOW and WHERE (biologically speaking) a medication or procedure works, which gives him the best treatment options for the benefit of the patient.
Dr. Bell is Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.